Antrim’s, A Good Sweep Chimney & Masonry Service has an ongoing commitment to maintaining it’s certification from the appropriate Associations and has a knowledge of all proper codes. We use ethical chimney sweeping and inspection practices to ensure your chimney is in good working condition and your home is safe.
Why have your chimney swept?
Sweeping your chimney removes harmful deposits that can be dangerous to your health, family and home. Creosote from wood, coal and other solid fuels is flammable and can cause chimney fires and deterioration of the chimney itself. Not only is chimney sweeping important, but an annual inspection is necessary for the health of your chimney and to find any possible dangers lurking in the chimney.
What to look for in a GOOD Sweep Company
They should be properly equipped to sweep and inspect your chimneys and fireplaces with the proper tools and equipment including:
• Clean drop cloths – A good sweep will use clean drop cloths to protect your flooring and furnishings as work is being done.
• A Powerful Industrial “Hepa” filtered vacuum – Hepa filters are the highest level of filtration available. They are commonly used in medical facilities where clean air is vital to patient health.
• Digital camera – A good sweep will use a standard digital camera to document any potential concerns such as deteriorating caulk around the flashing or deteriorating masonry above the roof line etc.
• A chimney scanning video camera – Because knowing the true condition of your chimney interior is vital to safe operation, a good sweep will have the ability to inspect and document the entire flue interior via the use of a video camera system. Video inspection of terracotta clay chimney interiors is especially important because video scanning is the only way to view potentially dangerous sidewall cracks and/or deteriorated or missing mortar joints within the flue lining. (This is especially true in larger or taller chimneys.)
• Quality draft gauge – This tool enables sweeps and technicians to troubleshoot performance issues and to make appropriate adjustments to your barometric damper etc. (This keeps your chimney cleaner and your heating system running efficiently.)
• Combustible gas and carbon monoxide detector – When chimneys are not venting properly gases can build up in the interior home environment and this can be very dangerous. These detectors detect dangerous levels of combustible gas’s and/or carbon monoxide. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can cause sickness or death.
Does my chimney need to be inspected and cleaned every year?
YES! The National Fire Protection Association does recommend inspecting your chimney every year. This generally refers to a chimney that is in regular use and also includes a chimney with central heating oil appliances and gas appliances. The NFPA suggests the chimney be cleaned as needed.
Please call 1-800-363-0532 or contact us if you have concerns about the safety of your chimney. If you are ready for your annual chimney cleaning, please call to schedule an appointment. We will be happy to add you to our long list of very happy customers.
Antrim’s, A Good Sweep Chimney and Masonry are experts in chimney relining techniques!
We perform historic renovation and preservation services also!