Antrim’s, A Good Sweep Chimney & Masonry Service sees many chimneys that have been improperly repaired at some time or have simply weathered and fail repel water. We use only the best products to assure you that your chimney is leak-free and in safe working condition and our work carries a warranty.
Most brick, stone, and cinderblock masonry products are porous by nature. Unless properly treated and maintained they will absorb moisture which will eventually result in expensive structural damage to the material.
Because chimney structures are subjected to the weather more than other parts of the home they tend to need more preventive care. Because of this we always recommend an application of a breathable water repellent to exposed exterior masonry surfaces.
Moisture-related issues are often accompanied by:
- mold/algae stains
- mineral efflorescence stains
- rusted or loose flashing
- cracked, loose or crumbling mortar joints
- cracked bricks or stone
- failing silicone or sealant
Your chimney may be leaking because of:
- an improper installation of flashing done by a roofer – which requires flashing to be re-installed at the roofline. Copper flashing is a preferred material for chimney flashing.
- crumbling stucco from age and weather – we provide expert stucco repair for chimneys that need a repair or a complete installation to cover masonry, stone, or bricks.
- crumbling mortar in-between bricks or stone chimneys (Water can penetrate through crumbling mortar and create an unstable situation. A chimney should be water-tight and re-pointing a chimney if there are visible holes or bricks or stones that are beginning to show movement is the best way to prevent water from penetrating.)
- Silicone and caulk around your flashing does not last forever! (These joints should be maintained regularly and provide a proper seal to the elements.
If your chimney is showing signs of water absorption and/or water-related damage we recommend having it evaluated and maintained.
Unfortunately, most chimney tops are not able to be safely accessed for inspection without professional equipment. If you are experiencing water damage from a leaky chimney, please call 1-800-363-0532 or contact us. We will be glad to look and make it watertight.
We use only the best products to assure that your chimney is leak-free and in safe working condition. Our products and workmanship are warrantable.